At the completion of this module, you should be able to:
• Identify advocacy issues by gathering information, reviewing and analyzing all aspects of the problem.
• Demonstrate knowledge of current laws, services, and community resources to assist and educate individuals to secure needed supports.
• Facilitate, assist and/or represent the individual when there are barriers to service needs and lobby decision makers when appropriate to overcome barriers to services.
• Interact with and educate community members and organizations (e.g., employers, landlords, civic organizations) regarding advocacy for participant’s needs or services.
• Demonstrate understanding of the process of advocacy, the role of advocacy in the lives of individuals, and the role of the DSP.